Monday, March 19, 2007

Israeli Author, Peace Activist Tanya Reinhart Dies at 63

Not too long ago, I bought a copy of Professor Tanya Reinhart's long awaited sequel to her book Israel/Palestine: How to End the War of 1948 entitled, Roadmap to Nowhere: Israel/Palestine Since 2003 . Like her earlier book, she sheds through the popular myths about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. She starts at where she lefts off in her previous book devoting a special chapter to the "Gaza Pull-Out," in which then Prime Minister Sharon evacuated thousands of Israeli settlers from the occupied Gaza Strip. I enjoyed both of her works immensely and only added to my vast library on the topic of the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict.

While I was watching Democracy now, one of the headlines was that Dr Reinhart died from a stroke at age 63 in NY. The loss of this great peace activist and scholar reminds of another loss a couple years back of the Palestinian activist Professor Edward Said. Both were jewels in the Israel/Palestine Conflict literature. I thank both of them for their contribution to the subject and helping me understand the conflict a lot better.

To God we belong, and to God we will return.

To see the segment on Democracy Now! go to http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/19/1354224

I recommend you pick up both her books as well as the works of Edward Said.

No comments: